Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Sunday, January 20, 2013

Looking Back 2012....Looking forward 2013

It has been another year. As I looked back at the past year, fond memories flashed back....

Kids
Jovin advanced into the next major phase in her growth milestone. We accompanied and witnessed her go through orientation programme, adapting to the new bedtime routine (although she could still laze in bed till 9p.m since she's in pm session), managing her loads and tons of assignments ( school / tution) amidst her already busy enrichment classes' schedule. As for Jovan, the greatest achievement was going diaperless and being toilet trained at night ( though there's still hiccups ocassionally)! Of course, we witnessed our prince able to perform confidently in a mini drama production put up by his nursery class. He has learnt many new English and Chinese words and has become super inquisitive and talkative over the last year. Besides that, we enrolled Jovan in a junior soccer class after having been through so many other trial classes and finally decided soccer training was a good avenue for him to unleash his 'wild' potential, train his motor skills as well as learning to work in a group.

Of course, how could it be so plain sailing? Dear and I were faced with challenges in discipling the 2 who posed differing sets of problems. For Jovin, she's just too smart and witty at times that we find it a cause for concern and worry. She came up with a few lies and was exposed by us. Although they were merely white lies, we worry this may be the root to future bigger lies. We realised our girl actually intentionally hid things from us which happened in school. As a result, we had to pay the form teacher a visit in the school so as to better work with and understand the problems. Fortunately, the matter has come to a close and I sincerely pray hard that Jovin will learn to be truthful at all times after having gone through reprimands and spanking from us. I still remembered it broke my heart bitterly as I stroked Jovin with the cane. I even cried in the room after caning her as I have never caned her thus far. Last year, when the lying incident took place, my heart really sank and I did  a lot of soul searching too. I did a heart-to-heart talk with my princess too and made her realise the severity of lying. This incident really left a deep impression within me till today...
As for Jovan, I faced problems in coaching him as we almost ended up in 'blows' and screams everytime he was being asked to complete his work. What's more, he was rude and even made no qualms as he talked back at dear and I. This was something that was really intolerable. However, towards second half of the year, he suddenly changed for the better, became more sensible and we managed to complete the academic coaching in a breeze. However, politeness is something which dear and I are still struggling to make him understand and abide.

Hubby
Dear finally made a major decision in his career path. He decided to leave banking sector after a good 9 years. The working pressure was just too intense for him to undertake. What's more, his health suffered as a result. So, he took a break almost coming to half a year. It was a painful decision though. Quitting without a job means loss of income. However, upon serious consideration, I still decided to support him in this decision. He was a changed man and I've never seen him feel so relaxed and carefree in my years of relationship with him. Dear initially wanted to take a short break of only 2-3 months, but job search wasn't too plain sailing after all. He ended up getting all the wrong job offers ( same old banking industry). He even went for an interview in teaching industry haha... However, we still decided he should make a sound decision. Good jobs need time and are indeed hard to come by. It wasn't easy for me during that period as I was the sole bread winner, but fortunately, dear's savings and my income still managed to see us through the crucial period as that was the time we needed most money for house moving. Finally, dear found a job which he likes. Now he's still with financial sector, but no longer in a bank. His working hours are shorter and enjoys his new job. Glad I was with him to see him through this major hurdle in his life. Now, he's a happy and healthy man!

Love Nest
We finally shifted into our love nest last September! We were busy overseeing the renovations, buying furniture etc and now, here we are, staying happily in the new place! We have been staying temporarily at mum's place before our new place was settled. It has brought us much inconvenience as the 4 of us have to cramp in my single bedroom and there wasn't much privacy. So now, I'm so glad everything has been settled. We bought the kids' dream bedding sets from FLEXA, went all means and ways to match their room  accessories ranging from various local children furniture retailers to overseas online shops selling wall decals. Dear and I also fussed over matching sofa sets, curtains, etc. A great load now off our mind!

Studio Shoot
Hehe, I'm really an avid fan of studio shoots. I remembered telling dear I won't be doing it anymore ever since their last shoot in 2009. However, with the 'free' vouchers gotten from a fair, we went ahead, made the booking, had a fun time at Essence Studios! I remembered we did it on a Good Friday holiday. We brought all our matching outfits, kids' favourite toys and accessories. All we did was laugh and had a fun time at the 2 hour long studio shoot. When dear and I went for the viewing session, we really love the effects, so ended up buying a set of 3 photos to be placed at our new place. Now the set of 3 is being displayed nicely in our living room. Heart aches indeed with the exorbitant pricing but most importantly, we feel that it really brings out the spirt of us i.e HOUSE OF 'J's!

Travel
We went to Taiwan in Jun ever since our last trip in 2006 with our best pals. This time round, we 'bravely' opted for a 6D5N free and easy trip with our little 'J's, booked our own hotels and bought train transfer tickets as we spent 2 nights at Gaoxiong. We had a great time at the new theme park, E-DA theme Park and it was the off-peak season for the Taiwanese. In the end, we played as though we owned the park with not many other visitors and we really played till we dropped haha... Of course, I bought like crazy at Wu-Fen-Pu wholesale market totalling to almost 20 sets for myself and 20 sets for the kids! Super cheap and pretty! Not forgetting dear and my common love - we actually forgoed the hotel's breakfast and went to buy the cheap and good Yonghe breakfast. Even our kids still remembered till today!  The only disappointment was not being able to go Danshui as it was pouring incessantly then, resulting in serious flood in those water catchment areas. Never mind,  I believe we shall be back soon in 1-2 years' time!

Myself
I was so pre-occupied with the tons of workload from my teaching career. However, dear commented he believed the career switch was ideal for me as he sees more smiles on my face compared to where I was working the last time. True, I was faced with various challenges over the past year, having to meet tight timelines amidst the tight schedules. However, I too, learnt a lot through valuable working opportunities with professors, senor management. I was thankful for the numerous opportunities given to me. As a mum, I find that it's really tough having to cope with teaching them weekdays opposed to completing my marking duties during normal weekdays. Sometimes, I'm really regretful as I turned them away whenever I'm busy with other work assignments. That makes me guilty. However, no matter how busy I am, I always set aside time for their bedtime story-telling which really bonds us closely together. The best part of being a teacher is undoubtedly the year end vacation. I spent a good 4 weeks break with my little 'J's, making up for the lost time with them during normal school days. I aspire to spend more time with them during normal school days.

Looking Ahead 
It's going to be another tough year ahead for my career as I have been told of the new major roles and taskings that have already been assigned to me. Apart from these, gonna bring students to Taiwan in Nov for a week. Oh going to miss my beloved 'J's dearly. Hopefully, I'm able to tackle all these.... As for dear, I see him work happily these days, bringing in commission, though not as much as before, still every bit counts. Most importantly, he has regained his health and now starts on his regular exercise regime through weekly basketball sessions with a group of youngsters in their early 20s. My wish is to see him lead a blissful, stress-free and healthy life. As for my little 'J's, as I've spelt out my concerns as above, hope to see Jovin cope with her school work well and develops her character positively. Jovan has since switched to a new Kindergarten with effect from 2013. He has been enjoying school life and I just wish for him to enjoy his learning positively and happily. As for travelling plans, we are contemplating between Korea and Taiwan once again free and easy in Jun.We shall see after the Natas fair.

I wish for all my beloved ones to be in the best of health and ever bliss, not forgetting myself too!

Happy New Year 2013 to all!

No comments: