Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Sunday, January 16, 2011

The Survival Story of Little Jovan!



Finally, our dear Prince Jovan survived through his first week! 3 cheers for our little boy! Instead of usual school opening day as others on 4 Jan 10, Jovan started his first day on 6 Jan instead. The school made special staggering arrangements for the new Nursery 1 kids. For the first 2 days, only half of the class i.e 5 attended school for 2 hours. For the next 2 days, the second batch i.e Jovan attended with the other 5 kids. Finally, on the following Monday, the entire class of 10 students with 3 teachers attended school together with no parents allowed.

This was the first time I really witnessed my child going through separation anxiety as Jovin has been very independent at a tender age of 18 months when she was sent to weekend playgroup. Still remembered vividly she waved goodbye to me at the very first lesson when she was only 18 months! Truly unbelievable by many of my friends when I told them about it. However, separation anxiety is not uncommon as I've seen it happening to my niece and nephews when they were young too.



For the very first day, Jovan still happily cooperated by wearing his uniform and enjoyed playing pranks on Jovin while waiting for the school bus. He waved goodbye to us as he boarded the bus with Jovin, but started to look lost. Must be wondering why daddy and mummy did not follow him. Dear and I drove to the school and hid behind the trees and any other corners we could to take a peep at him. All other 4 parents were there. Jovin was assigned to sit down with Jovan. Jovan started to look worrisome and his eyes kept lurking around. The next moment, I heard Jovan's cries as Jovin spotted me and told Jovan. So she even brought him to me! Alas, I was exposed, no point hiding. Teacher told me to stay with him for sometime as this was the first day and all other parents were there. Al were like koala bears, hugging their mummies tightly. So, no choice, we accompanied him to the classroom. Teacher started to attract their attention by bringing out loads of toys like large LEGO blocks, choo-choo train etc. Slowly, we sneaked out quietly and decided to leave him alone.



After an hour, we returned and see Jovan happily playing with the blocks. Teacher was getting ready to bring them to the playground.





As it was raining, he sat on the tricycle and police car kiddy ride. We were there with him and could see him enjoying himself.

Problem arose the next day. Jovan refused to put on his uniform. Think he knew we were bringing him to the school. It wasn't only until much coaxing with Pocky sticks, jelly etc then he finally relented. However, he was full of tears as he boarded the school bus. Entirely different from the first day! Similarly, I rushed to school and found a great hideout corner behind the trees, taking the risk of being bitten by red ants though. That's motherhood, sigh! The 4 mothers were still there but I decided to leave Jovan alone and onyl returned to the school nearing dismissal time. Jovan spotted me and clung onto me when he was dismissed. Teacher fedback he cried for a while, looked sad, asked for mummy, daddy, then continued playing on and off. Looks like there's some great improvement!



On Monday, I couldn't be with him as I gotta attend lectures. Mum told me he only agreed to wear the uniform when he saw the new BEN 10 briefs that I've bought him! Then he started to complain of 'tummyache' nearing bus pick-up time and cried like mad when the bus auntie took him away from my mum. Oh, really sounded cruel but things have gradually improved. Yesterday, Jovan happily waved goodbye to me as he boarded the bus with Jovin and even greeted school bus uncle! No more cries! Yippie, Jovan has succeded and survived through his 'nightmare'!



I believe Jovan will slowly adapt better and love his schooling life as there will be a pool day every Thursday when he gets to wear his swimming trunks and enjoy water playing with other kids!Furthermore, he would be going'on school excursion with Jovin to watch the play Úgly Duckling'. Bet it's going to be an exciting school year ahead for our little Jovan. Good job, Jovan!

No comments: